The Great Chillout - "Poker Face Remix"

Monday, February 9, 2009

Mission accomplished



On Saturday morning I woke up late. Actually I woke up at like 4 p.m. on Saturday to a text from my boy that says, word for word: "Look for Adam Morrison at hp."

Five minutes later I found out that Morrison was traded from the Charlotte Bobcats to the L.A. Lakers for Vladmir Radmanovic. The text message that I received was a bit of a joke from my boy who knew that I had played against Morrison in poker at Hollywood Park last year.

Rewinding a bit to Friday night, I played right after work and really didn't get anything going. I grinded for a few hours and was just not getting anywhere so I decided to call it a night around midnight and headed home with a whopping $60 profit. One goal that I have in February is to win every session. It probably won't happen but I remind myself of that goal to try and stay out of the red or making risky plays while I'm playing. Plus, with that goal, it makes winning $60 a little more satisfying when I consider it's another winning session under the belt.

Saturday I was planning to go at about noon to play a nice long session until about 8:00 p.m. I woke up early did some things around my apartment and then fell back asleep until 3:30 p.m. Real smooth, way to stick to the plan.

So I only got a short session in on Saturday but it was much more successful, winning $580 in the 5/10 game but losing $40 in the 3/5 game. Overall another winning session so that gives me some momentum going into Sunday.

Sunday I wanted to make sure I was going to get to HP by 1 p.m. They were giving away a car and I wanted to be there when they called my name for that new Jaguar. They were calling a name on the hour every hour from 1 - 10p.m. Then out of those 10 names, they give a key to one person. Obviously I stayed from 1p.m.-10p.m. and they didn't call my name.

The good news is I had a great session. Especially considering the fact that I was in for $1400 pretty quickly. The last three sessions (possibly four) I've had to play the $200 game (3/5 blinds) while I was waiting for the $400 (5/10 blinds) game. Every time I've lost a little in the $200 game no matter what. I'll be up like $150, then I'll get in a big hand and lose $200 and then they'll call my name for the $400 game. It's like clockwork. So I lost my $40 in the $200 game and then I moved to the $400 game.

The main $400 game was crazy. There was like $15k on the table, which is about five times as much as usual on the table. I was on the must-move table and everyone was trying to get to the main game. I ended up in for $1400 playing the must-move before I changed to the main game. I was battling in the main game when I played a hand loosely and it paid off.

I raised to $35 with Ad2d. At this point I had just taken a couple river beats and my stack went from $1400 to $800. The two donkeys of the table called. The small blind, who is a super-tight player, raises to $135. I'm the first to act following his raise and I call, hoping that the other two players will call also. One of them calls and one folds. The flop comes 10d6d6s. The small blind fires out $300. At this point I know I'm either calling or moving in. I have him on JJ or better and I'm hoping my ace is live but I'm not sure. I decided to smooth call, hoping that the other player will call as well. He thinks for a minute and then goes all-in for about $1200. Wow. Now I have him either on the 6 or a diamond draw as well. I'm hoping the small blind folds so that if we're both on diamond draws and we brick out, I win with the ace high. The small blind mulls it over for a long time (he has the $1200 covered) and eventually calls. I obviously move my final $300 in and I hit the diamond on the river. The small blind had KK and the button had Ac6c and won a big sidepot. I'll take the luck any day and at this point it was either win a huge pot or rebuy and I got lucky.

From that point on I continued to increase my stack size when I noticed none other than Adam Morrison stroll into the no limit section and sit down at the must-move $400 game. Sweet.

When he moved to the table I beat him in a couple decent-sized pots. First I flopped three eights with my bb K8 and he called me down. I'm not sure what he had. Then we both flopped straights in a raised hand. I had 5c7c and the flop came 346 rainbow. Unfortunately for Morrison he had 2-5 offsuit and lost the cooler hand and headed to the ATM for the third time. The guy is incredibly nice and I give him a lot of credit for keeping a calm head at the poker table because he lost a bunch.



The funniest part was when some old guy at our table started talking about the Lakers trade and had absolutely no idea that Morrison was sitting at the table. He started like this "They just made a nice trade. They got rid of that stiff Radmanovic for that kid Adam Morrison." At that point I could tell he had no idea so I kicked him and then another guy says, "You do realize that he's sitting right here don't you?" and the old guy replies "Who's sitting right here?"
Good stuff.

Then the guy next to Morrison starts making small talk with him and asked this brilliant question: "So have you been to L.A. before?"

What the fuck...

"No, I've been in the NBA for three years but I've never been to Los Angeles. Can you show me around?"

Amazingly I ended up yesterday's session $2410 overall, putting me up for the weekend $3010. I find this crazy because after Saturday I kind of figured that I wasn't going to hit my $3k target for the weekend but I was just hoping to have a winning session on Sunday. Then, when I was in for $1400, I figured it was really a wrap and I was just trying to get back to even. Things changed quickly for the better. Here's a look at my stack with the $100 white chips looking healthy.



I'm not playing today. Gonna go to UCLA and play some basketball. I have to keep my other resolutions in mind and can't get overly consumed with poker. I'll go back either tomorrow or Wednesday.

2009 Numbers:
January: 120.75 hrs., +$14,873.00

February: 22.5 hrs., +$3160
02.03.09 2.5 hrs., +$150
02.06.09 5.5 hrs., +$60
02.07.09 3.25 hrs., +$540
02.08.09 11 hrs., +$2410

4years!!

No comments: