The Great Chillout - "Poker Face Remix"

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I just had a revelation



Not that I'm close at to going 'pro' in poker, but I have always wanted to and considered what it would take to stop working a 9-5 desk job and play poker full-time.

Do I think I'm good enough? Yes. And I could very well be wrong about that, but when I sit at the table I'm pretty sure I'm better than at least seven of the other players 95% of the time, if not all of them. But then again, that's probably what everyone thinks.

Do I have the money saved up? No. This is what I had always felt was the biggest obstacle and I have determined that I want at least $80k behind me if I stop working.

How much would I need to make to be a pro? This is the revelation that I just had. If I make more playing poker then I do at my desk job, then I should play poker.

I've been having a lot of feelings lately that I only live once and I (and you and everyone in the world) only have one life to chase my dreams. Twenty years down the road I won't have the same opportunities that I do today. Even five years from now I won't. I won't be the same person that I am today and I will be older and probably more reserved and resilient to taking risks.

So at this moment in time, I feel that if I can make more money playing poker than I do at my job, I might as well play poker.

I just need to determine how many hours I need to log before I can make a decision on how much money I make with poker per hour or year compared to my job.

4years.

2 comments:

The D.E.F.I. said...

Go for it, son. I think you got the chops for it. I'd love to go down that road, too, but I'm even further behind financially and skill-wise. Viva la Vida.

vtn said...

youre definitely built to be able to stay up and focus for long hours so it's a good suit. i wanna play too but i just cant focus without my sleep.

just make sure you keep discipline, stay fit and remember to keep a stronghold on the bankroll management.

take it down. poker is a business. money to be made!!

"Why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker every year?"

-rounders