The Great Chillout - "Poker Face Remix"

Friday, March 6, 2009

I'm Getting Old + Big Loss



Last night I had a terrible session in poker. I dropped $1900 and left and it was early. Usually I finish playing between 1 and 5 a.m. but last night I lost so quickly that I left at 11 p.m. and was in the mood to lift my spirits, which meant either the strip club or the club club.

I hit my roommate first and to no surprise he was not down to kick it. He's an auditor and works 10 hour days so I don't blame him for wanting to sleep.

I hit up my best friend from college aka Tweezy aka Marky T the Beast and he was wifed up and after a long conversation I got him to admit that he is now only available to kick it about one night per week.

I hit up my other guy who didn't answer the phone, probably because he was asleep at 11 p.m.

I hit up my boy Oogie and he is nowhere to be found. Oogie is usually reliable in these situations but he's a jazz musician that doubles as USC's street pharmacist (he's been an undergrad for 14 years and running now -- no lie) and his life is like one big party. Yet, he's still nowhere to be found.

Next I went with my boy Tony G., who is a well-known perv and would be down fa sho to go to the strip club. He answered on a half-ring but said that he was too tired to go out. At 11 p.m.

I call Big Bank Frank and his phone is off. Ugh, that was my ace in the hole.

My other guy Faded T has his chick in town from Seattle so he's a wrap; My old reliable right hand club guy Ike is engaged and moved back to Wisconsin to be with his fiance; My other guy Big Time is in business school also in Wisconsin (I'm going out there in April to the UPN guy who goes there, I forget who it is); my #1 poker homie was also out for the night with his chick.

So I decided to sit on my couch, smoke a blunt and wait to see if someone would hit me back.

No one.

At this point I realized that I am so old that I can't find someone to go out with. I remember in the glory days when boys were eager to get out and see the world. Now, it is like a chore to go out.

So I'm wondering, what do I do? Do I need to find new friends? And if I do, do they need to be 21-23 year olds?

I still love to get out and see the L.A. night life (believe me it's great) but it's getting increasingly harder for me to get my boys to go out with me. The ones that really did like to go out have moved away or are just too worn out to go out on weeknights when the best venues are having their best nights.

Anyways, this is a rant that last night I realized that I'm getting old.
As far as the session last night, it was frustrating and I had a bad vibe right away.

I had a basketball game and was completely out of it. I just couldn't get into the game; my energy was low and I wasn't excited to play at all. With the exception of a quick eight-point scoring binge in less than a minute in the second half, I played shitty. I was fouled to end the first half and missed both free throws while the other team talked shit from the sideline. Ugh.

After the game I knew I was planning to go play poker but I wasn't in the mood. I went anyways and picked up a Q-high flush draw against a lady that appeared to be bluffing and trying to steal the blinds from the BB preflop. She made it $65 and I was her only caller. The flop came A-K-2 with two hearts. I held Q-5 of hearts (I know a shitty hand but this lady is a complete donk so I was trying to get involved with her). She bets $80 looking real scared and I call. The turn is a four. This is where I screwed up (besides not re-raising on the flop). She checks and I make it $130 with about $120 left. I should have gone all-in or checked. The river comes another four and she bets out $160 looking like she is trying to get me out of there. I'm trying to put her on a hand and I really can't with that bet. If she thinks I have an ace why would I fold? If she had a made hand why would she play the turn like that? So I call with Queen high and she says "Nice call, I want to see your hand." So I show the Queen high missed flush/straight draw and she shows KJ for a pair of kings. When she said "Nice call" I really thought I had her but I failed and played the hand terribly.

Then food service fucks up my order when I'm starving and I have to wait for that for an extra 30 minutes.

Then I finally pick up jacks and get caught in between AK and QQ and fold pre-flop after putting $70 in already.

Our game breaks and I move to the $500+ table. I bleed down to about $700 and this Indian character is a known gambler/action junkie makes it $60 on the button. I'm in the big blind and I call him with 4s2s figuring it's a hand I can either crack him with or get away from easily. The flop comes 53T with two spades. I check raise him and he goes all-in with KT and I call. Turn T, river K and I'm out.

I'm gonna play a lot this weekend, I think I'm gonna try to hit up Commerce and play the $500-$1500 game to see how it is. Plus their waitresses are way hotter.

2009 Numbers: 205.25 hrs., +$23643; BR2: +$700
January: 120.75 hrs., +$14,873
February: 77.75 hrs., +$8520

March: 10.00 hrs., +$250
03.02.09 0.75 hrs., +$105
03.03.09 2.5 hrs., +$900
03.03.09 5.0 hrs., +$1145
03.05.09 1.75 hrs., -$1900

FOYEAHS

2 comments:

JP said...

Hey i guess u shamelessy plugged ure blog on 2+2 :p.Added ya 2 my blogroll. Looks great BTW, keep up the good work!

TJ said...

You go to Wiskeezy after I leave. I see how it is.