The Great Chillout - "Poker Face Remix"

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Second Session in One Day



On Tuesday after work I went back to "The Park." I was planning to play a game with co-workers after work but a few people flaked so we cancelled the game and I went to HP to make some better money.

I played the $400 game only and made a nice $1145 come-up in five hours. My table had only one bad player but I was able to pick off a couple bluffs and win a lot of the dead money, which is something that I've been doing a lot more frequently. I'm at the point where I hate to see someone else win the dead money because I know I should have taken it down.

One piece of advice that Phil gave us when we asked him about what we need to be doing is he told us to play micro-stakes with the sole purpose of trying to win every hand. Obviously you can't win EVERY hand, but if you're trying to win every hand, you're going to win a lot more than you would if you're sitting around waiting for cards. I never did this but I think that I do try and figure out ways to win every pot that I'm in. A lot of the time I know that someone has a real hand and I'm not going to be able to win the hand, but other times even if they have a made hand like top pair/top kicker or two pair, I can get them off the hand when a scare card hits or if they are a nit/rock. Anyways, the dead money that I've been stealing has really improved my sessions because it gives me more room to call raises and not be the short stack if I can pick up $35-200 here and there. That's also what P was saying, that the dead money helps to take the hits and coolers when you get them. It's an obvious statement but to hear the best in the game say it, you realize that it really does make that much of a difference.

I've surpassed $25k in 2009, which is monumental to me, especially to do it this quickly.

I've actually been thinking about writing a book about my life and relating it to small stakes grinding (I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure that $3/5 and $5/10 NL is considered small stakes) and what I believe has helped me to be successful. I'm not saying that I will be a huge winner in the end but I've been doing this for several years now and I definitely have a lot to say. In terms of my life, it's nothing special but I think with my writing and emphasizing some experiences it would make the book a better read. In my opinion, it's very boring for me to read most of the poker books that exist about strategy and tournament strat and mathematics. The only poker book I ever read all the way through was "Ace on the River" and that was about Barry's life. Plus I just love to write for myself. Eh, who knows.

Last night I had a bball game that we won somewhat easily and then I decided to take the night off from everything. Just smoked a blunt and chilled out.

This is my stack from my last session:


2009 Numbers: 203.5 hrs., +$25543; BR2: +$700
January: 120.75 hrs., +$14,873
February: 77.75 hrs., +$8520

March: 8.25 hrs., +$2150
03.02.09 0.75 hrs., +$105
03.03.09 2.5 hrs., +$900
03.03.09 5.0 hrs., +$1145

Four years, get it done.

1 comment:

crookedlink said...

You should really look into the book thing seriously dog.

You're a great writer and I'm sure a lot of people would very interested in what you've got to say.